Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Blog Reflection 4

Why do I have to SAIL from place to place when walking is just as fine? *and perhaps burn more calories...let's think for a moment, when you sail, you are really using the energy from moving air* *but I am seriously side-tracking and God forbids that :)*

In the educational landscape, SAIL really stands for Strategies for Active and Independent Learning. This teaching and learning approach is created because it was found *I think someone must have discovered this* that even though our education system is robust and excellent by many international comparisons, a few things could be improved.

What are these things, you might ask? *actually you should ask*
1. Sometimes pupils are not very explicitly told what they are going to learn.
2. Learning targets are unclear and therefore easy to miss.
3. We are always the ones evaluating our pupils' work.
4. National examinations are used as models for most learning and assessment activities.

SAIL hence looks into how those AFIs can be *erm hm* eradicated by
1. Selection and explanation of learning expectations to pupils
2. Selection of tasks to realise those expectations
3. Assessment of pupils based on articulated expectations
4. Provision of qualitative feedback
5. Provision of self and peer evaluation

Some of the key ideas I took away from my reading are:
1. Learning expectations can be broad but should provide a focal point for pupils's learning.
2. Tasks should encourage divergent thinking.
3. Rubrics should be created to assess pupils - used as a platform for items 3-5 mentioned above.

But some of my concerns are:
1. Will this approach be well-received by parents (and their well-taken-care-of children)?
2. Will the crafting of rubrics be difficult?
3. Anyone can come up with rubrics but who will ensure they are good?

Nonetheless, I shall bear SAIL in my mind and whenever the wind caresses my cheeks, I shall dream about where my ship will take me *that's if I can afford one...okay, make it a sampan* while I create wondrous lesson plans that will hopefully incorporate some of the features mentioned.

No comments: